Tree Tomato Chutney | Tamalu's Weekly Recipe
This week's recipe is something different and a recipe that can be shared with friends and family. At Tamalu Farm we love Tree Tomatoes and although many are not sure what exactly they can do with Tree Tomatoes, we want to ensure you that there are plenty of recipes with this delicious fruit to share! This week we are sharing the delicious Tree Tomato Chutney! Super easy to make and can be kept in the fridge for some time.
• 750g tree tomatoes (approximately 12)
• 1 tablespoon canola oil or olive oil
• 1 finely chopped onion
• 2 garlic cloves/crushed
• 1 large chilli (seeds removed) finely chopped
• 1.5 cups of caster sugar
• 1 cup white wine vinegar
• ¾ cup raisins
• ½ teaspoon nutmeg
• ½ teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon cloves
• To make chutney, cut a small cross on the base of each tree tomato. Put tree tomatoes in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Stand for 1 minute or until skin begins to peel. Drain and peel.
• Roughly chop and put in a bowl.
• Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and chilli. Cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes or until onion is soft.
• Add tree tomato, sugar, vinegar, raisins, nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon. Stir until well combined and sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil.
• Reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and spoon chutney into a large, hot, sterilised jar.
For more Tamalu recipes check out our Instagram page, where we post weekly recipes using fresh produce from our Farm! We also have a Tree Tomato Sorbet recipe on our Instagram page for you to check out! Enjoy!