Regenerative Farming Courses
Tamalu Farm offers live-in Regenerative Farming Courses. Steeped in practical and theoretical training on topics such as regenerative agriculture, agroforestry, Integrated Pest Management (IPM), Sustainable charcoal & biochar production, nursery management, and much more.
HOW LONG: 5 days
East African Participants
For East African citizens only.
Fee: $400 per person for 5 days. This includes fresh farm produce and learning experience. Exclusive of full board on-farm accommodation and transport to and from the farm.
$450 per person for 5 days inclusive of full board on-farm accommodation, fresh farm produce and learning experience. Exclusive of transport to and from the farm.
For international persons only.
Fee: $600 per person for 5 days inclusive of fresh farm produce and learning experience. Exclusive of full board on-farm accommodation and transport to and from the farm).
Fee: $650 per person for 5 days inclusive of full board on- farm accommodation, fresh farm produce and learning. Exclusive of transport to and from the farm.
THE DAY TO DAY
We start our days early in the farm before breaking for mid-morning tea. During the hotter hours, before and after a farm-fresh lunch there are countless designs & systems to research, experiment and adjust. Late afternoon you will focus on a pre-agreed activity / focus area that falls within your interest area under the guidance and support of one of our team members.
There are a variety of different topics/focus areas we have in store for you, including:
• Regenerative agriculture; principles, ethics, design & implementation
• Agroforestry: principles, design & implementation
• Soil enhancement through certified and locally available organic soil amendments, composting, mulching, green manure, and minimal till farming.
• Drip irrigation technology – design, layout and maintenance
• Water quality and storage: capture and conservation methods
• Vertical garden bag farming
• Pasture improvement & Intensive fodder production
• Integrated Pest Management: identification and control of diseases & pests using biological controls
• Enterprise development
• Nursery practice: germination, propagation, budding & grafting of fruit trees, and out-planting of production and indigenous tree species
• Veg boxes: harvesting, delivery, management and future planning
• Designing and maintaining planting schedules for market gardens
• Sustainable charcoal & biochar production
2023 Regenerative Farming Course Dates
30 January to 3 February
20 February to 24 February
27 March to 31 March
24 April to 28 April
22 May to 26 May
26 Jun to 30 Jun
24 July to 28 July
21 Aug to 25 Aug
25 Sept to 29 Sept
23 Oct to 27 Oct
20 Nov to 24 Nov
Tamalu farm is located outside Maritati town, a rural outpost on the slopes of Mt. Kenya. This high altitude farm is approximately 2430 meters above sea level and boasts fantastic climatic conditions for horticulture and forestry, with both large- and small-scale farms making up the surrounding landscape. Like most montane areas, we get chilly mornings and evenings, with warm windy days. Please do come prepared for both extremes. The farm is approximately 4-hour drive from Kenya’s capital city, Nairobi.
Nanyuki is the easiest transport hub to get to and from Nairobi. TAMALU is another 40-minute drive from Nanyuki. Please get in touch with us directly for more details on which route and mode of transport we recommend.
WHATS INCLUDED / WHATS NOT
If you are staying with us on site (recommended unless you have your own transport) your Monday – Friday breakfast, tea, lunch and dinner are included as well as drinking water throughout the day. If you would like to organize your own place to stay we can arrange a half board package on request – this will include tea/coffee, drinking water, and lunch. Tamalu Farm will not accept responsibility of any activities outside of the proposed itinerary.
We have a local super market in Timau (approx. 20-minute drive from the farm) where you can buy what you need. We have a strict NO alcohol and drugs policy on our farm.
Keen to join us for a hands on experience?
Please fill out the registration form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible with further registration details.
Looking forward to having you on board!