Tamalu Farm offers live-in apprenticeships. Steeped in practical and theoretical training on topics such as regenerative agriculture, agroforestry, Integrated Pest Management (IPM), Sustainable charcoal & biochar production, nursery management, and much more.
Due to the COVID- 19 pandemic as well as the rainy season starting we are postponing all apprenticeships to January 2021. Please get in touch with us for more information on this.
HOW LONG: Minimum 5 days – Maximum 28 days
For East African citizens only.
Fee: $50 pp/day inclusive of full board accommodation (exclusive of transport to and from the farm). This includes accommodation, fresh farm produce and learning experience.
For international persons only.
Fee: $100 pp/day inclusive of full board accommodation (exclusive of transport to and from the farm). This includes accommodation, fresh farm produce and learning experience.
THE DAY TO DAY
We start our days early in the farm before breaking for mid-morning tea. During the hotter hours, before and after a farm-fresh lunch there are countless designs & systems to research, experiment and adjust. Late afternoon you will focus on a pre-agreed activity / focus area that falls within your interest area under the guidance and support of one of our team members.
There are a variety of different topics/focus areas we have in store for you, including:
• Regenerative agriculture; principles, ethics, design & implementation
• Agroforestry: principles, design & implementation
• Soil enhancement through certified and locally available organic soil amendments, composting, mulching, green manure, and minimal till farming.
• Drip irrigation technology – design, layout and maintenance
• Water quality and storage: capture and conservation methods
• Vertical garden bag farming
• Pasture improvement & Intensive fodder production
• Integrated Pest Management: identification and control of diseases & pests using biological controls
• Enterprise development
• Nursery practice: germination, propagation, budding & grafting of fruit trees, and out-planting of production and indigenous tree species
• Veg boxes: harvesting, delivery, management and future planning
• Designing and maintaining planting schedules for market gardens
• Sustainable charcoal & biochar production
MEET THE TEAM
Our team consists of a diverse group of hand selected Kenyans. Work alongside Sven, the force behind TAMALU’s regenerative vision; Michelle, our brand & marketing manager; James and Fred the farm managers as well as a battalion of men and woman from the neighbouring community.
Tamalu farm is located outside Maritati town, a rural outpost on the slopes of Mt. Kenya. This high altitude farm is approximately 2430 meters above sea level and boasts fantastic climatic conditions for horticulture and forestry, with both large- and small-scale farms making up the surrounding landscape. Like most montane areas, we get chilly mornings and evenings, with warm windy days. Please do come prepared for both extremes. The farm is approximately 4-hour drive from Kenya’s capital city, Nairobi.
Nanyuki is the easiest transport hub to get to and from Nairobi. TAMALU is another 40-minute drive from Nanyuki. Please get in touch with us directly for more details on which route and mode of transport we recommend.
WHATS INCLUDED / WHATS NOT
If you are staying with us on site (recommended unless you have your own transport) your Monday – Friday breakfast, tea, lunch and dinner are included as well as drinking water throughout the day. If you would like to organize your own place to stay we can arrange a half board package on request – this will include tea/coffee, drinking water, and lunch. Tamalu Farm will not accept responsibility of any activities outside of the proposed itinerary.
On weekends everyone is free to do what they like. We will not be providing food/drink/ activities during the weekend so please make sure if you are staying on site that this is organized in advance with one of the senior supervisors. We have a local super market in Timau (approx. 20-minute drive from the farm) where you can buy what you need. We have a strict NO alcohol and drugs policy on our farm.
Keen to join us for a hands on experience?
Please fill out the registration form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible with further registration details.
Looking forward to having you on board!